Monday 18 February 2013

LEDBURY TOWN HANG ON AGAINST THE HUNTERS


Today I decided to take in the West Midland League, Div 2 game between the Sikh Hunters team and the league leaders, Ledbury Town. I was glad to see the sun coming out while walking to the rail station in Worcester.


After alighting at Rowley Regis station at 1:30pm, I hurried to the town centre at Blackheath and had a quick meal at a local Cafe. I was hurrying because the West Mid League website, had informed me that it was a 2:30pm kick-off. However when reaching the York Road ground, I found out it was a 3:00pm start instead.

There were a small contingent of Ledbury supporters in the crowd, which looked to be around the 20 mark. It was a beautiful day and I was looking forward to the game, the first I had watched in this division. It was good to see Ledbury making a comeback in this league after a break of 2 seasons and I had wanted to visit this ground for some time, as I can see the floodlights from the railway each time I visit Birmingham on this route. It used to be used by the now defunct Oldbury Athletic team who played in the Midland Alliance. Now it is used by Sikh Hunters, (a club based in Walsall, founded in 1964) and share it with AFC Smethwick who are going strong in Division 1 of the same league.

Ledbury started the strongest of the 2 sides. Sikh Hunters seemed to be a bit off the pace and were being rushed in to making rash hurried passes.

Both sides, especially Ledbury had chances to score but the end of the half saw the score still at 0-0.

Sikh Hunters came out strongly in the second half and came close to breaking the deadlock but Pegasus were the ones to score first and repeated the feat five minutes later.
This photo shows the celebrations after Ledbury's first goal.

The Hunters however kept up their good football and were rewarded with 10 minutes to go when they scored directly from a free kick, taken out to the right of the Ledbury goal from a tight angle, deceiving keeper, Lewis Skyers. I am sure I saw Mr. Skyers playing for Pegasus Juniors last season, playing in their forward line!

The home side mounted wave after wave of attacks against the Ledbury goal...but to no avail. The leaders hung on for the win in an excellent open game of football, which was a credit to both sides.

Ledbury kept their lead at the top and later must have been encouraged to hear that rivals Newport Town and Hereford Lads Club had both slipped to unexpected defeats.  



No comments: