Sunday 14 April 2013

RUSHALL SINK 'THE COASTERS' WITH WIN AT DALES LANE





This Saturday I am making my way to the Northern Premier League top 5 clash between Rushall Olympic and AFC Fylde from Lancashire. Both teams are looking to make the League play-offs in a few weeks time.

This will be the second time I have visited this ground, as near the end of last season I saw Rushall's tenants, Continental Star, beat Pershore prior to clinching the Midland Combination Premier League title. Also it was a happy occasion for me as one of my photos from that game was selected as the cover photo for the current edition of 'The Non-League Club Directory'.

Both of these clubs have made very good progress up 'The Pyramid' over the last 12 years, especially Fylde as only 5 years ago they were lifting the FA Vase, in their previous incarnation of 'Kirkham & Wesham FC'.

When I arrive in Walsall, an already cloudy day becomes greyer and it starts to drizzle. Not good photography weather, well certainly not for my camera/lens set up.I board the No.997 bus from Walsall Bus Station and soon am getting off the bus at the stop opposite the ground.

It's an entrance fee of £7:50p, cheaper than expected and the programme £2. I must say the Rushall programme is very good value, packed with information about the Evo-Stik Northern leagues and various cup competitions like the Staffordshire Senior, Birmingham Senior and Doodson League Cup. Well done to the editor Darren Stockall!

Fylde have brought down about 50-70 fans with them and I park myself under the cover of the stand at the southern end of the ground where they congregate when they see that their team are kicking towards that goal. Rushall are in their gold and black kit while Fylde are resplendent in all white.


     
The game is played at quite a pace with both teams anxious to get forward as quickly as possible. A bit too Route One for me at times but there is no disputing that they both mean business.


(Here the Rushall No.2 is given a helping hand by physio, Emma Archer)

It's a pretty even first-half with not many clear-cut chances. The Fylde fans are sure that their team should be awarded a penalty when their player, Harry Winter is brought down after a rash challenge but it's deemed to be outside the area and Fylde shoot over the bar from the free-kick. However Rushall take the lead 5 minutes before the interval when Obeng fires in a well taken goal.

During half-time I venture in to the Club Shop and find a very good selection of Football League and Non-League programmes. When talking to the guy who runs the shop I find that we both attended the same Sutton United (Sutton Coldfield) game the previous Saturday. It's a small world!

I go back to the southern end of the ground as it is still drizzling and soon Rushall Olympic are on the attack. Although I was not greatly impressed by the standard of play in the first-half, I begin to admire Rushall's efforts in the second period. With their combative midfield, the pace of Ahmed Obeng plus the guile and work-rate of top scorer, Dave Walker, Rushall are stringing together some probing attacks. Although Rushall dominate most of this half Fylde are still dangerous on the break.


 (Here the dangerous Obeng whips in a shot that grazes the Fylde cross-bar)

Rushall's efforts are well appreciated by their fans and they duly get their reward a few minutes before the end when Lindon Dovey scores their second and decisive goal.

So a great result for 'The Pics' which pushes them up from sixth to fifth and sees AFC Fylde drop from fourth to sixth but with 2 games in hand over Rushall with 2 points separating them. They could be playing each other in the play-offs soon!

In the end I was impressed by Rushall Olympic and today's performance was a great improvement to when I saw them lose 1-3 in the FA Cup to Bridgnorth Town earlier in the season.

No comments: