Wednesday 9 October 2013

CASTLE VALE TRIUMPH IN COMBINATION BASEMENT BATTLE


Wow, I can't believe it, I am actually going to a game today! September just didn't happen for me this year, all those Cup games I had lined up but in the end I just couldn't see for one reason or another.

I have decided to see 2 teams I have never seen before who are taking part in an early season basement battle in the Midland Combination Premier, namely Blackwood v Castle Vale JKS. Indeed Castle Vale JKS did actually finish bottom last season but earned a reprieve presumably because Bloxwich United went out of existence.

It's a game that's easy to get to for a rail traveller like me, as Blackwood play at The Coppice ground of Highgate United of which they are tenants and it's located a few minutes walk away from Whitlock's End station which is right on the south-east outskirts of Birmingham on the line to Stratford-on-Avon.

I get to Whitlock's End at 2:30pm and as I walk out of the station I can see the ground of Shirley Town, another Midland Combination team and as I cross over to Tythe Barn Lane, I pass the ground of a womens team called Leafield Athletic on my left. It's a nice rural location but I admit I am not that impressed by The Coppice ground. It has a covered area along the entire nearest side as you approach the pitch, with seating available for one half of it. The club house and changing rooms are near the entrance and there are several full size and mini-soccer pitches there too.
As Highgate are going very well in the Midland Alliance at present I don't think they have much chance of achieving promotion if they win their championship, if they wish to do so.

I see from the programme that prior to last season, Blackwood had gained 3 successive promiotions, quite a feat!

So 3:00pm arrives and Blackwood take to the field in their Inter Milan style
kit and Castle Vale in blue and yellow. The crowd looks to be in the region of 25-30.

Blackwood dominate most of the early play but it's Vale who take the lead in the 11th minute when their centre-forward is left with an easy close range header.


  
For the rest of this half Blackwood are just the better team and look more likely to score. 


  
             (The Castle Vale keeper clings on to this Blackwood cross)

Blackwood do score a deserved equaliser in the 41st minute, I think it's their No.6 sweetly turning on the edge of the penalty area and slotting the ball in to the top right hand corner of the net.

Even-stevens at half time and everything to play for! 

During the interval I notice that there is a rugby match taking place on the pitch at the back of us behind the hedge. Yes,there are plenty of different clubs in this area.

The second-half is quite even but Blackwood seeming to be the more dangerous side. One of the features of the game for me is the contest between the Vale centre-half and captain versus the dangerous looking Blackwood No.9. It's the No.9 who has Blackwood's best effort in this half when he shoots from about 20 yards out and the Vale keeper makes a great save to turn it around the post. Another player who catches my eye is the No11 for Castle Vale, very lively and good dribbling skills.

Disaster strikes for Blackwood with 10 minutes to go when one of their defenders in trying to clear the ball from his penalty area just skies the ball straight in to the air and Vale's, Jem Mills is waiting to head in to the net.

After this Castle Vale comfortably keep Blackwood at bay for a win that sees them leapfrog their opponents, who must feel they don't deserve to lose this contest.



So it's hard luck Blackwood and on this showing it looks as if both teams will struggle again this season.  

No comments: