Wednesday 6 August 2014

RACING CLUB LOSE FIRST GAME OF NEW SEASON


So, the start of a new season and a new football league, namely the 'Midland Football League'. This comprises the joining together of the old Midland Alliance and Midland Combination leagues. The 'Alliance' is now the Premier Division (Step 5) of the new league and Division's, 1,2 &3 are made up of teams from the Combination. There are also 2 Reserve team divisions and 2 Under-21 team divisions transferred from the Midland Combination too.

I have decided to visit the historic town of Warwick today to witness the Racing Club Warwick v Lichfield City clash, in the Division 1 (Step 6) of this new league. 

I have been to this club twice before and have seen Lichfield over 20 years ago. I fancied seeing the town of Warwick again, as it is a pleasant place to visit with nice architecture, although it's football team are usually struggling and fighting off relegation in recent years.

As I set out from Worcester on the Birmingham train, it's cloudy and has been raining most of the morning, so I'm a bit worried if the game is going to be on. After looking at the forecast, it looks as if the further east I go, the better it should be.

I phone the Racing Club's secretary when I get to Snow Hill station in Birmingham but his wife instead answers the phone as he is on his way to the ground. She assures me though that the game should go ahead as it has not been raining in Warwick this morning. So I buy my ticket and about 35 minutes later have disembarked and am making my way down to Warwick town centre.

I see that the centre is decked out in bunting to commemorate the 1,100th anniversary of the town, giving it a slightly continental look (as shown in the photo below).



After having a quick look around the town centre, I make my way down towards the football ground. Near the ground is Warwick Racecourse and I pass along the back of it's Grandstand. Also on the other side of the A 4198 (Hampton Road) is situated the ground of Warwick Cricket Club, with it's cute looking white wooden pavilion.

Soon I am entering through the turnstile of the Townend Meadow ground which is situated close to the corner of the racecourse, hence the use of the 'Racing Club' name. It's £4 entry + 50p for a 12 page paper programme. I go in to the club house bar and get my ritual pre-match cup of tea and when I go back outside I notice that next door is situated the local boxing club which is housed in a long portacabin looking building. It does not look in good repair and some of the windows have broken glass, which looks as if vandalism has taken place. I presume that this same club is where the famous World Champion, English boxer of the 1950's, Randolph Turpin had learnt his trade, as his statue is to be seen in the town centre.

Before the game starts I see on the team sheets posted on the wall, that the diminutive but speedy striker, Ahmet Bilgimer (formerly of Walsall Wood) is playing for Lichfield today. I'm sure he will play an important part in the proceedings. His brother too is playing at No 2.  

Although the sun has been shining all the time I have been in Warwick, I can see dark clouds looming to the west end of the ground, which is where I take my place by the side of one of the goals, sheltering under some trees. As I look down the pitch, on my right is a small stand, with seating and a corrugated tin roof, with the team dug-outs either side of it.
On my left is another small stand longer in length, again with a corrugated tin roof.

The teams come on to the pitch with Racing Club in their colours of amber & black while the visitors are in their away colours of all red. There looks to be a crowd of about 40 today.

When play commences, the 1st half sees an evenly contested game. After 10 mins , Lichfield spurn a good chance when the ball breaks to their No.7 on the edge of the penalty area but he shoots wide of the far post.

Ahmet Bilgimer later turns sharply just outside the box but his shot is quickly blocked.

In one Racing Club attack, one of their forwards, Jake Brown, shoots over the bar from an acute angle (as shown below).




The best chance for Racing Club sees one of their forwards head just wide from a good left wing cross.

The weather has quickly deteriorated after just 10 minutes of play and rains, heavily at times for most of the first 45 minutes (as seen in the photo below)and I'm grateful for the shelter of these large trees in the corner of the ground.



Just as it seems like the game will remain goalless at half time, Bilgimer is brought down in the 42nd minute, after he bursts in to Racing's penalty area and a spot kick is awarded. Lichfield's No.8 duly steps up and scores to put his side in the driving seat.

The rain had stopped after 40 minutes and the sun has come out again but more rain clouds are not far away.

When play resumes with Lichfield attacking towards me, they seem to be more confident now and Bilgimer and their No.9, Kyle Minto looking dangerous. 

Their No.14 is finding space on the left too and after 70 minutes his pass finds Bilgimer who slides the ball home.


    Bilgimer (far right) is greeted by his happy team mates after scoring the 2nd and decisive goal.

Although Racing Club try to get back in to the game they don't really look like scoring. The rain had come back and lasts for most of the second period except the last 10 minutes, when the pitch is bathed in sunshine. 



So Lichfield City run out 2-0 winners and look as if they could have a useful season while the hosts look set for another struggle down the lower part of table on this showing.

I did not come back to the West Midlands until 6 years ago and did not realise that Racing Club had been members of the Southern League just 10 years ago. So it's a shame to see them struggling now and judging by the lack of advertising hoardings around the pitch they don't seem to be pulling in much needed money to help their cause.

I'd recommend a visit to Warwick, as it is an historic place with good shops and you can always visit the Castle too as well as taking in a game at Racing Club. 
    

No comments: