Sunday 15 December 2013

FIRST-HALF DISPLAY CLINCHES IT FOR CHELMSLEY TOWN


Hello sports fans! I am travelling to yet another new ground for me today, namely that of Hampton FC's, at the Field Lane Sports Ground, Lugtrout Lane near Solihull for their Midland Combination, Division 1 clash against near neighbours, Chelmsley Town. 

Originally I had been looking to visit Malvern Rangers ground but have been put-off this choice because of the weather forecast, which implies there will be rain in that area by early afternoon.

It takes me about 1.5 hours to get to Solihull by train and when I arrive it's quite sunny and there are plenty of people in the town centre of course doing their Christmas shopping. Solihull is a great venue for shopping with it's branch of John Lewis and the indoor Touchwood Shopping centre to hand. I do a bit a spot of window shopping and after a cheap snack of a bacon butty, chocolate eclair & a coffee, I'm on my way by foot to Hampton FC. 

Unfortunately, I get a bit lost and what should have probably been a 30 minute walk turns in to a 50 minute walk and my late arrival. So I'm here with 20 minutes already been played. The ground is in the countryside and I walk through the gate in through the car park. I pass the club house and changing room complex and see the ground in front of me. There is a rail surrounding the pitch with 2 small covered stands either side of the team dugouts on the west side with banking at the southern end. On the eastern side are other playing fields.

I take a position at the southern end, sheltered from the stiff breeze (with now cloudy sky) and see that Chelmsley are attacking in my direction.They are in a sky blue kit while Hampton are in their colours of red shirts and black shorts & red socks. I am told there is no score yet but within 5 minutes, Chelmsley take the lead. Their No.7 heads the ball in at the near post from a corner, as shown in the title photo. Later on I realise I have seen this player before. He used to play, usually at left-back for Pilkington XXX. He certainly took the goal well.




Hampton are struggling to contain their visitors and sure enough, Chelmsley double their lead a few minutes later with one of their forwards shooting in from from the edge of the penalty area. 

Hampton come in to the game more now, determined to peg a goal back.



Despite Hampton's best efforts though, Chelmsley score another goal on 41 minutes and what a little cracker it is too! Their No.11 cuts in off the left-wing and curls the ball across and over the Hampton keeper in to the far corner.

I didn't expect to see Hampton 0-3 down at this stage of the match as they were 6th in the league table before this match and they are playing at home.

After a cup of tea in the club house, I venture in to the cold again just as the teams are coming back on to the pitch. There are only 10 spectators apart from myself (maybe due to the proximity of Christmas no doubt).

The second period proves to be a more even affair and Hampton are awarded a penalty after just 3 minutes. The Chelmsley keeper barging in to the back of a Hampton forward in front of the ref! The spot kick is duly dispatched and there is hope again for the home side.


  
I am mystified later on when the Hampton keeper rushes out and stops a shot with his arm. To me, albeit being at the opposite end of the ground, it looked as if he had run out his area. The ref, books the keeper and awards a free kick. I'm sure the shot was going close to the goal too. Very puzzling!




Despite the best efforts of both sides though, the score remains 3-1 in Chelmsley's favour. I thought both teams played pretty well considering the unfavourable conditions today.

Chelmsley look a strong team but I can't see them catching Cadbury Athletic at the top of the table.

I make my way back to Solihull rail station without any mishaps this time (reading the map properly helps!). 

No comments: