Sunday 12 January 2014

ROMULUS CONQUER AUSTREY AT COLES LANE


Today I am making my way to my first ever Under-21 match in the Midland Combination. The game in question is between the unbeaten league leaders Romulus and the village side from Warwickshire, Austrey Rangers.

It's a 10:30am kick-off so I have to get up early (7:15am) and have breakfast at Worcester Shrub Hill station before catching the train for Birmingham Snow Hill. It's a lovely sunny morning and after arriving on time I walk the short distance to New Street and catch the 9:35 train for my destination of Sutton Coldfield.

I walk the short distance to the town centre after my 20 minute journey and make my way through the extensive shopping area to Sutton Coldfield Town's ground in Coles Lane, which Romulus share. I have made such good time that the tea bar has not quite opened for business yet!

The wet artificial turf is glistening like jewels in the morning sun and soon I am supping a welcome warm cuppa.

I am meeting friends in Birmingham this afternoon, so thought it was a good opportunity to watch a game for the first time in this competition.

Romulus FC (founded in 1979) have a very good reputation for bringing on young local talent. Former players include ex-Football League stars like Dean Sturridge, Darius Vassell and Zac Knight. All this from a club that was formed initially to develop the best schoolboy talent in the north Birmigham area! I'm also intrigued by Austrey Rangers who were only formed in 2005 and they have only joined the Midland Combination this season.

There looks to be a crowd of between 30-40 spectators today.

Romulus take to the field in their usual red & white stripes while Austrey are clad in green & white hoops.


  

The artificial turf makes for a fast game of football. I can see it's easy to over hit the ball on this kind of surface and also at first some players have difficulty in being able to get enough height in their attempted crosses. 

I am surprised by Austrey Rangers having more of the possession in the first 30 minutes although they aren't creating many goal chances.

Romulus open the scoring though when their No.7 is found unmarked on the edge of the penalty area and he coolly slots the ball home.



Austrey Rangers hit back in injury time when their No.6 tenaciously manages to get in to the Romulus penalty area only for his legs to be clipped by a Romulus full back (shown above). The penalty is duly dispatched and half-time sees a score line that's a fair reflection of the game so far.

During the break I talk to a guy whose son plays for the Romulus first team after recent promotion from the Under-21 side. He also informs me that about half the Austrey Rangers team is made up of former Tamworth players from their now disbanded academy team. Now I fully understand the quality of their side and why they are sitting well up the table.

Romulus step up their efforts in the second period and after 10 minutes have won a penalty after their dangerous No.11 is brought down with a clumsy challenge. The Austrey keeper is sent the wrong way for Romulus to take the lead.

For the rest of this half Romulus look very dangerous, especially with their tricky wingers getting plenty of the ball.




Austrey though are still dangerous on the break and their No.5 makes a sortie up field in their most dangerous attack and after playing a neat one two with a colleague, shoots just over the bar.


             (A Romulus forward looks to break through in this attack)

The game ends in a well deserved win for Romulus despite the plucky efforts of their visitors. I have been impressed by the good standard of play by both teams today and will look to watch another game in this division before the end of the season.

No comments: