Friday 25 April 2014

STAFFORD RANGERS SIGN OFF WITH A WIN!


So, it's Easter Monday and where will I go today. I had been hankering to go to see Rugby Town v Barton Rovers in a play-off clash in the Calor Southern League, Central Division but after seeing the previous day's late night weather forecast with the threat of heavy showers, I decided to head north again and go to another new ground today, namely the Marston Road ground of Stafford Rangers. Looking at the weather map, it looks more likely that if I go north then it's less likely to rain. 

I set off on the train from Worcester, a bit later than I wanted. After changing trains at New Street in Birmingham I am making way to Stafford on the Liverpool train. After 35 minutes I am getting off at Stafford and walk out of the station in to the spring sunshine and cross the road and find myself in Victoria Park. This is a pleasant entrance to a new town for me. The River Sow winds it's way through this park and there are plenty of families spending some leisure time in this pleasant area. On the other side of this I find myself in Stafford's town centre, with plenty of historical timbered buildings lining the main street.

After having a look around the town's shopping centre and partaking of a chicken burger and chips from the burger van in the town square, I make my way up the road for the 15 minute walk to the Stafford Rangers ground in Marston Road.

I'm surprised to find myself walking along side Stafford Prison and then streets of terraced housing. When I arrive near the entrance to the ground I find there are lots of fun activities mainly for kids, like bouncy castles etc. Good idea for a holiday weekend.

I pay £9 at the turnstile and part with another £2 for a programme.
For a few weeks now, Stafford have known for a weeks that after a bad season they are doomed for relegation. Their opponents, Nantwich, have achieved mid-table safety.

There is a crowd of 394 today with a noisy contingent from Nantwich who are providing drum led musical entertainment on the far side of the ground, which gives a livelier atmosphere to the proceedings.



The 2 teams take to the field with Stafford in their usual black & white stripes and Nantwich in their away strip of yellow shirts & blue shorts.


     (Stafford's  Saul Henderson is tracked by a Nantwich Town defender) 

There is lots of endeavour by both teams but not much composure in this half and consequently not many chances. 

Nantwich have the best chances with Meaney, White and Aaron Burns having efforts on goal.

Saul Henderson has the best effort for Stafford Rangers when he fires over the bar.


             (Stafford full-back, Oliver Davies looks to go on the attack)

So still 0-0 at the break and maybe some goals in the next 45 minutes? Stafford's ground has a capacity of 6,000 with one large main stand with seating on the Marston Road side and on the other side there is a covered standing area for most of the length of the pitch.

When play resumes, Stafford start to get more of the play. Substitute, Jack Edward's header hits the post and out and then their lively midfielder goes close too.

At the other end, Max Harrop fails to chip Stafford's keeper, Andy Jones (as shown below).



After 65 minutes, Rangers take the lead through Saul Henderson who after receiving the ball on the left, cuts inside to place a shot inside the far post. Also soon after he hits the side netting too in another attack.

Nantwich come back strongly but Aaron Burns shoots over the bar with their best chance.



  So Stafford Rangers have signed off with a win with their last home league game this season. It seems that the fans would like to see the current manager, Graham Heathcote, stay on and lead them back to this division as soon as possible.

They are certainly a club with potential and I would like to see them do well in the future. 

No comments: