Friday 10 October 2014

LYE TOWN'S VASE RUN BLOCKED BY PEGASUS


The changeable Autumn weather today has helped change my plans. I had been eyeing up the FA Vase clash between Sporting Khalsa v Hanley Town (of the North West Counties League) but after checking the BBC Weather on-line site, I came to the decision that there will be better weather conditions at another Vase tie between Lye Town v Pegasus Juniors, who last season came 1st & 2nd respectively in the Premier Division of the West Midlands Regional League. So it's off to my first visit to the Black Country this season.

Now Lye Town are promoted to the Premier Division of the newly formed Midland Football League and are currently in a creditable sixth place. Pegasus, who are having an indifferent start to their league campaign currently lie in 12th place in the West Midlands Premier Division but with games in hand over the teams above them. I think it will be a close contest this afternoon between these 2 old rivals.

I take the train to Stourbridge from Worcester and get off at Stourbridge Junction about 30 minutes later. I decide to walk in to the town centre and have lunch there as well as visiting the monthly CD and Record Fair at a local church hall. Iv'e been to this Fair before and they usually have a good selection on offer. I make a purchase, a CD by Ian McNabb which I used to own some years ago but lost after moving house, so I'm very pleased to find another copy today.

I make my way back to the Stourbridge Junction station and make the short 4 minute train journey to Lye. The ground is just a 5-10 minute walk away from the station and I last visited 2 seasons ago when Lye played another Herefordshire team, Wellington, and only got a 1-1 draw, when they should have won comfortably after having a large share of possession that day. 

Lye's ground is full of character. Firstly they share it with the town's cricket club (a la Stourbridge) and their main stand looks as if it's being shored up by scaffolding, although this is actually part of the structure.

Iv'e arrived in plenty of time and so am able to buy my customary cup of tea + a cheese burger as I realise I'm still hungry (after smelling the fried onions). Also quickly perusing my programme, I see that the striker Mark Danks is now playing for Lye. I remember seeing him play for Worcester City a few seasons ago, so I know he's a useful player to have in your team.

The players come out in to the autumn sunshine, Lye in their blue and white strip and Pegasus in red and white.


                                    (The action taking place in front of the Main Stand)

I must admit that the first-half is a tedious affair with Lye having the majority of play but largely inept as an an attacking force. Pegasus are soaking up the pressure with 5 men at the back and looking to hit their opponents on the break.

Lye Town winger Overfield cuts in from the right but only hits a tame shot, when I was expecting the opening goal. 


                     ( Lye's striker Mark Danks, manages to find space for a run on goal)

The hosts best effort comes near the end of the half, with a good header from skipper Ben Jevons but it's well saved by the Pegasus keeper.

So a very forgettable 45 minutes but I'm sure that Lye will come out strongly in the second half. With this in mind I walk up to the other end of the pitch which is overlooked by a small steep slope.

Lye Town do look more purposeful when play resumes but it's the visitors who score the first goal after 57 minutes. The young Pegasus forward, Sam Pearson breaks away and shrugs off a challenge from Ben Jevons and shoot past Lye keeper Stevens.

Lye bring on substitute, the experienced forward Chris (Billy) Russell in place of Overfield, who has been largely ineffective although he has tried hard.

Despite Russell's presence giving an immediate boost to Lye's attacking efforts with his trademark surging runs, it's the dangerous Pearson who scores again for Pegasus from another breakaway after 69 minutes.


(Pegasus Juniors, clear another Lye attack from a corner. Note the cricket pavilion in the background.)

Lye though continue to press forward, albeit ever more desperately and it pays off with just 6 minutes to play when right-back Bissell delivers a great cross for substitute Shivlock to nod in at the far post.

It feels as if it's too little too late and so it proves to be with Pegasus rewarded with a place in the next round (a home tie with Aston) after their pragmatic performance today.  

I later find out that Sporting Khalsa and Hanley Town have played out a 3 all draw but I have enjoyed my second visit to Lye and I'm sure that they will have a good first season in the Premier Division.

As I am leaving the ground I have a quick conversation with a guy called Peter Ray, who has been videoing the game from the high ground at the back of the one end. He tells me he hails from Solihull and I later find his Blog called 'The Mowdog on the Road.' He certainly covers a lot of games and is worth a visit.




Entrance fee: £5
Match programme: £1
Entertainment value: 5/10
Match attendance: 74   



   


No comments: