Wednesday 3 December 2014

THE RAIDERS ARE RAIDED IN CUP DEFEAT



Due to time constraints today, I am going to a local game. It's going to be the Worcestershire (Saturday) Junior Cup game between Worcester Raiders and Fairfield Villa (who hail from the village just outside Bromsgrove) in the north of the county.

It's going to be my second visit to see the Raiders who play at Claines Lane, right on the northern edge of Worcester. I was very impressed by them when seeing their 10-1 win against Team Dudley 2 months ago and I have a feeling it's going to be a cracking game against a very useful Fairfield team, who ply their trade in the 2nd Division of the Midland Football League.

I take the No.144 Birmingham bound from Worcester bus station at 1:30pm for my short journey. I'm feeling pleased with myself as I should get to the ground with 10 minutes to spare. However when the bus is going past the Neel Park, the ground of Perrywood FC, to my dismay I see that their match is already under way. I then realise that they must have a 1:30 pm kick-off and I think that they too are playing in the Junior Cup too today. I later find out that they were playing Inkberrow in that competition. 

So when I disembark from the bus and walk the short distance to the ground, I'm not surprised to see the players moving around behind the tree cover from the road. Just shows that you need to check these things before the match. What a numpty!




As I am late I am able to walk in without paying the usual £3 entrance fee. I walk over to where the teams are playing and can see that both sides are in their usual colours. Worcester Raiders in red and black and Fairfield in yellow and blue.



After a few minutes I witness Fairfield miss a good chance when a shot from the left just goes wide.

Then Fairfield have a player sent off! On the left hand side of the pitch I see the referee stop play, then after talking to some Fairfield players I see one of their players trooping off the field. I have no idea why this has happened as I hadn't noticed anything untoward happening. I later find out his name is Olly Booth.

Then a few minutes later, after I have retrieved the ball for the Fairfield keeper, I ask him what the score is and he informs me that his team are already 2-0 up.

Worcester Raiders cut the deficit when their No.11 goes down the left and cuts back the ball for their incoming No.10 and captain, Richard Smith to score from close range. It looks like we are going to see a lot of goals this afternoon!  

Although Fairfield are down to 10 men, they are still the more dangerous looking team. They go close again when their No.9, Connor Collins, floats the ball over the advancing Raiders keeper only to see the ball skim the bar and out of play.




They do extend their lead soon after when the ball isn't cleared properly after a free kick and Connor Collins heads home. The same player scores again six minutes later, giving him a first half hat trick and his team a formidable looking 4-1 lead. 

I realise that the kick-off must have been at 1:45pm, even though it should have been 1:30pm. So I have been lucky and have only missed the first 5 minutes of the match. Enough to miss the the first 2 goals though!

I saw in the local press a few weeks ago that this ground is owned by the Worcestershire County Council and the lease will be ending soon. There are several teams that use the ground as well as Worcester Raiders and there is the possibility that the cash strapped council could sell the ground. This would be a great pity as we need to keep good sporting facilities like this one, especially now that the Raiders are are the premier football team in the city given that Worcester City are in exile at Kidderminster.

The teams come out again after a 10 minute break and Fairfield emphasise their dominance of the game by scoring a fifth in the very first minute. Collins takes the ball down the right and rolls the ball inside for the No.11 to hit home an easy chance.

Worcester Raiders aren't going down without a fight and 6 minutes later their No.7 hits a shot against the post when it looks easier to score. After about 20 minutes though Worcester score a second when the impressive Richard Smith guides in a header at the far post after meeting a cross from the left.

After 23 minutes Richard Smith runs on to a good through ball but pushes the ball just wide of the far post (as seen below).



Fairfield Villa score again though in the very next minute. A Fairfield player had taken the ball round the Raiders keeper, sees his shot cleared off the line only for Fairfield's No.12 to put in the rebound.

5 minutes later, the Fairfield No.10, John Pykett, slots home after being left unmarked at the far post after the ball is played in from the right.

Worcester Raiders get a third goal when Richard Smith completes a well deserved hat trick.



So the game ends with a 7-3 win for the visitors and a place in the semi-final awaits them in this competition. They played impressively today but have been helped by a woeful defensive display by the Raiders, who I think need to tighten things up in midfield and at the back. They play a cavalier attacking style that's good to watch, have a very good front man in Richard Smith but just concede too many goals I think to be serious title contenders in the West Midland Div One. I hope things turn out well for them as regards the future of their ground.

Match entertainment: 8/10
Entrance fee: usually £3 but got in free 
Match programme: Not sure if there was one today
Match attendance: about 25 

   

No comments: