Wednesday 30 March 2016

BOLDMERE SPORTS & SOCIAL FALCONS 1 - 2 SHIPSTON EXCELSIOR


I have inadvertently come to a new ground today. Originally I had agreed to take some photos for Droitwich Spa in their away match at Paget Rangers. I had travelled as far as New Street rail station in Birmingham, was waiting for my train to Chester Road station, when I noticed an email on my phone from Ben Lloyd, the Spa Media Officer, telling me the match had fallen foul of the overnight bad weather.

At first I thought of going to a match at the 4G surface at Sutton Coldfield's ground, in Coles Lane but to my dismay find that both Sutton Coldfield and their tenants Romulus are both playing away today. Maybe Lichfield Town? Then I suddenly remember seeing on a previous rail trip, the ground of Boldmere Sports & Social Falcons lying close to the rail line just after Chester Road station. A quick check on the MFL website shows me that indeed they are at home today (playing the splendidly named Shipston Excelsior) and the match looks to be still on!

I got off at Chester Road and with the help of my map soon fInd the entrance to the ground.



Then I walked down the drive to the Sports Club where there is a club house on the left. Just before getting there I saw a guy getting out of a car and asked him if the game was definitely on? He assured me it was and said that he and his friend were ground hoppers who had originally been going to a game in North Wales. He also let me take a photo of the team line-ups that he'd borrowed off a club official.

There are changing rooms with toilets along the side and then next two 4G 5-a-side pitches before the 3 football pitches the other side of some wire fencing. The main railed pitch is directly in front of me and the other 2 are located at the bottom of this. The railway line is on the other side of the ground. There is no shelter at the ground so it's good that the weather forecast is for a mainly sunny afternoon.

When the teams troop out, Boldmere are in their home strip of red & black striped shirts, black shorts and socks while today's visitors are in white shirts, orange shorts and white socks, their away strip I think.

Shipston are in the mid-table position of 8th but Boldmere are struggling near the bottom of the 3rd Division.



Their is a strong breeze going across the pitch and the pitch itself slopes a bit from top to bottom. It's Boldmere who are attacking down the pitch in this half and they do most of the pressing in the early stages.

Indeed after just 8 minutes, they should have taken the lead when their No.8, Jordan Lengthorne, is presented with a great headed knock-down from a free kick but shoots just wide of the left hand post (as shown below).



Shipston hit back after 14 minutes when they have a close range shot blocked by the Boldmere keeper, Ryan Lewis.

The visitors take the lead after 24 minutes when the ball is played down the left and a player scores from close range and a few minutes later they double the lead. They are awarded a free kick on the right, which is knocked over to the left of the goal where a Shipston player heads it back for a team mate to loop a header in to the far corner.

Boldmere have not played badly but have a mountain to climb to get back in to the match.

They go very close after 35 minutes when an attack is launched down the right and their live wire No.7, Lewis Gorle, sees his attempted cross deflect off a defender, on to the bar and out of play.

In their next attack a loose ball is struck firmly by Gorle but is saved well by Ireland the Excelsior keeper. 

Gorle is scythed down near the end of the first half by Matt Partridge the Shipston No.3 who is then booked for his efforts.

It's Shipston Excelsior in the driving seat at half-time but Boldmere can count themselves unlucky not to be on the score sheet at least.

During the interval, a Boldmere supporter asks me who I am taking photos for and I tell him it's for my Blog. He then tells me that his 17 year old son is playing in goal for Boldmere.

In Boldmere's very first attack in the second period they score when Gorle crosses for striker, Rob Tydlacka to head home.

Their good fortune does not last though when a few minutes later their keeper makes a hash of clearing the ball and it falls to an oncoming Shipston player. In a panic Ryan Lewis grabs the guy in possession and wrestles him to the ground. Of course he is sent off and another Boldmere player takes his jersey to go in goal for the penalty, which he duly saves by diving to his right.



Shipston have one of their players sent off but for some reason I manage to miss this happening. I find out later that it's their No.3 Matt Partridge.

It's certainly at times been a committed feisty encounter today and Boldmere's No.4, Reiss Johnson can count himself lucky not to be shown a straight red card rather than a yellow for this foul.


  
He even has the cheek to wag a finger in the ref's face after his offence, to make the point that it wasn't a foul?

Mr.Johnson goes on a run in to the Shipston penalty area in injury time only to see his shot deflected.

Also their substitute keeper goes up for a corner and sees his header skim the bar (as shown below).That would have been a great way to end this exciting match if he had scored!



I'm glad I came to this match today which more than made up for my earlier disappointment as regards the Paget match. I also met Adam 'Adji the Groundhopper' at last, whose blog I have been reading for the last 4 years. I didn't recognise him at first as he was wearing specs and a beanie hat.

We have a good chat for the last 15 minutes of the match and he then gives me a lift back to the station. Thanks Adam!

Match attendance: 25
Match entrance fee: free
Match programme: none available
Match entertainment: 8/10 

No comments: