Thursday 8 May 2014

PAGET BLOW AWAY POOR INKBERROW


So I am on my way on the bus from Walsall to Sutton Coldfield and my second match today. The weather is still idyllic and I'm looking forward to seeing Paget Rangers in action for the first time. They were reformed in 2011 and are looking for promotion from the Midland Combination Div 2 this time round. My late father attended the Paget Road Infants School during his childhood and used to tell me about the Paget Rangers team, so it's a name I know well. He may at one point have played for the club itself (possibly their reserve team).

I get off the bus at the junction of Chester Road North and Jockey Road and walk the rest of the way to the ground in Church Road, where Paget are the tenants of owners, Boldmere St.Michaels.

I make it in to the stadium at 2:40pm and pay the £2 admission and £1 for the neat professional looking programme. I ask the guy at the gate if Paget will be here next season and he affirms that they will. The reason I ask this question is that I got it into my head that Paget Rangers might have tried to get back to their old home at Castle Vale, now that the Castle Vale JKS club folded some weeks ago.

There are a lot of Aston Villa fans in the crowd today and the man on the gate is tuning in to their home match v Hull City, as it's vital that they secure a win.

Paget have an outside chance of gaining promotion but this is dependent on Kenilworth and/or Coventry United slipping up. Inkberrow on the other hand are firmly entrenched in last position in the league table and their mission is surely a damage limitation exercise.

Paget take to the field in their usual gold and black kit while Inkberrow don their away colours of red and white.


      
Paget look threatening with almost every attack and Inkberrow are having to work hard to stop them scoring.

The Rangers are their own worst enemies though by wasting several chances but do take the lead in the 25th minute. It's taken by their No.10, Marcus White.

They hit the woodwork twice before the break and I am wondering if they are going to rue these missed chances later on in the game.



At half time I hear from one of the Paget fans that Villa are leading 3-1, so at least one of the local teams are taking their chances today!`Also I must say that the burger I buy is good quality and I soon polish it off.

Paget Rangers are again carrying on well on top in the 2nd half and after 20 minutes have scored another 4 goals. Inkberrow do show some fight though when one of their players hits the bar with a long range effort.


         (Paget's captain, Dan Zouch on the left is celebrating another goal)

A bit later on a sixth goal is duly scored and Inkberrow in their desperation bring on their ageing but experienced coaching staff as substitutes. This move pays off somewhat when one of them supplies a good ball for one of their players to score a consolation goal.

Their joy is short lived however as, Matt Coates scores his third and his sides seventh goal of the day, (as shown below).



Well it's been a certainly one sided game but good for Paget's goal difference!

I later find out from the League website that today's attendance was 62, very good for this division.

Also when I get back home, I find an email message from 'Adji the Groundhopper' whose Blog I regularly read, who is asking me if I have attended today's game. We have never met before but have corresponded fairly regularly over the last few months. He must have seen me prowling around the touchline with my camera and guessed it was probably me.

So a very good result for Paget Rangers but Kenilworth have also won by 2-1 over Northfield to become Champions for this season. Coventry United, to clinch second spot will only have to beat lowly Burntwood Town at home on May 17th.   

No comments: