Monday 5 May 2014

ROMULUS ARE TAKEN TO EXTRA TIME BY WORCESTER


Well, it's an early start for me today, as I'm making my way to the Red Lion ground in Bloxwich (home of Rostance Edwards FC) for a 10:30 am kick-off. The game in question is the Midland Combination's Challenge Bowl Final, between the Under 21 teams of Romulus and Worcester College of Technology. It's basically the Under 21 League Cup.

So I leave on the train from my local station at Shrub Hill at 7:35 am. Just have enough time to buy a newspaper, a cappuccino and biscuits before boarding the waiting train with a minute to spare. Damned uncivilised these early starts!

It's a gloriously sunny morning though and after a few sips of my coffee, I am feeling a bit more alive.

The journey goes well until we are just outside New Street station. Then we have to wait until a platform becomes free for our train. Instead of cursing London Midland train company, I strike up a conversation with a woman passenger sitting on the other side of the carriage. She turns out to be Spanish (who speaks excellent English) and is a football fan who supports Atletico Madrid. She is going to Birmingham to try out a roller skating club. Brave girl! The train gets in to the station a few minutes later and we say goodbye to each other. Maybe I will bump in to her again soon in Worcester or on the train? Well....probably not I suppose, knowing my luck.

So, I get the next train to Walsall and when I get there I have plenty of time to get some cooked breakfast at 'Dino's Diner' near the bus station.
Suitably refreshed I am soon boarding the No. 301 bus and 5 minutes later I arrive in Bloxwich and make the short walk to the ground in Somerfield Road. When I walk in to the club house, I pay the £5 admission and receive a free programme. 

Although Romulus, who have already won the Under 21 league are the favourites I am hopeful that Worcester can provide an upset today. When I saw Worcester play at Heath Hayes a few weeks ago, I was very impressed by them that day.

So the teams are soon walking on to the pitch, with Romulus in their usual red & white stripes and Worcester in light blue shirts and dark blue shorts.



The first half is turning out to be a very even affair. Not many chances but still pretty entertaining. I am hoping that Worcester's No.11, Joao Sousa, is going to shine today as he scored the best goal I have seen this season when I saw them last.

Both teams are working hard but the final ball is a bit lacking.

However Worcester take the lead after 32 minutes when the Romulus keeper is adjudged to have impeded a Worcester College player just inside the box. The Romulus players are incensed and it takes a while for them to calm down. I'm not sure if it did deserve to be a penalty as I didn't see it very well. 


                   (James Lemon,sends the Romulus keeper the wrong way)

Worcester score from the penalty and Romulus respond straight from the kick-off in style. They pass the ball all the way up the pitch and go very close to scoring the equaliser. Phew!



There is an unfortunate clash of heads at a Worcester corner as shown above. Both players get immediate treatment and the Worcester player has to go off to have his head bandaged up.

Worcester reach the interval still in the lead and it looks as if the game is going to be a very close affair.

It's a good crowd today, probably a 100+. There seems to be quite a few Romulus supporters here, which makes sense as we are quite close to Sutton Coldfield. Also there are a lot of WAGS here too,....well make that just girlfriends, as the players are probably a bit young to be married just yet.

I can see there are 2 guys videoing the game and 2 photographers who both seem to be concentrating on the Romulus team. Maybe I'm the only spectator from Worcester today?

The second half starts and it's Romulus who are starting the better team.

In fact they are outplaying Worcester now and after 55 minutes are awarded a penalty of their own when a Worcester player is adjudged to have handled the ball.


                     ( Romulus score from the spot in the 55th minute)

So Romulus are right back in the game but Worcester are still working hard. Their attacks are more sporadic but they aren't giving in to their more experienced opponents.

Although Romulus continue to be on top, 90 minutes comes up with the scores still level. I am hoping that Worcester can find some inspiration in extra time and pull off the win.

Romulus have other ideas though and with the advantage of the slope again in the first period of extra time score 2 further goals to seal the game.

Firstly, a Romulus forward makes a run to the left of the Worcester goal, puts in a hard low cross and an onrushing covering defender puts the ball in to his own net. 

Then 5 minutes later, Romulus's top scorer, Danico Johnson fires in a terrific shot from the right, in to the opposite top corner. Their players are jubilant as they know the have the game in the bag now.



So it's been a gallant effort by the Worcester lads but Romulus have been the better team from the second half onwards today.

I leave a few minutes before the end as I intend to get to another game this afternoon and I'm already late starting off.
















   




      

No comments: